Guys! I'm so excited to finally share my first recipe on this blog. Yes, I know. Finally. For my defence, I was spending more time on cooking and mastering some of my favourite recipes than on blogging, but let's put the shaming aside and get back to the business.

Vegan Sour Cream
Not the most popular one, but definitely the most mastered recipe of mine. So many failed versions for such a casual cream. At the same time.. what did I really expected of veganising product that is 100% non-vegan? Not the sharpest tool in the shed but let's continue.

Please, let the drums roll foooooooor VEGAN SOUR CREAM! Yes! This one is very, very special to me, that's actually the last non-vegan product I was missing so badly in my vegan diet. I'm one of these people who love to put sour cream in almost every dish. Without it, the flavour of veggies wasn't as rich as it used to, the soup tasted meeeh and the regular summer salads (not that fancy but surely delicious Latvian classics tomato with cucumber) were just tomato and cucumber.

I think it's unnecessary to say this is not the easiest job to find a vegan sour cream in Latvia. Now we have supermarkets stocked with pretty big variety of vegan milks, some snacks, sandwich fillings, finally yogurts as well, but there is no sour cream available (not talking about those few, small bio shops that do have it). All I'm saying, vegan sour cream is not easy accessible as it should be in my theory for regular Latvian vegan.
So.. I had no other choice (well I had but these few, small bio shops are out of my hood) than to make it by myself.
Good vegan sour cream in my opinion is pretty plain in its taste (and rich at the same time but you will get what I mean in the process) and creamy in its texture. I swear, this one is foolproof, extra fast and easy recipe. You don't need extra time to prepare ingredients or desperately run for them across the city in the first place. 

What you will need?

A good (not excellent) blender or food processor, sterile glass jar or any container, a sense of taste and the following ingredients. This will give you 1 cup of this tasty cream.

¾ cup Raw cashews
½ cup Neutral unsweetened vegan yogurt
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
¾ teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
¾ teaspoon Salt

How to make the magic?

Very easy. Follow the instructions and believe me, in the end you will have creamy vegan sour cream without a heavy taste of nuts.

  1. Rinse cashews and then soak them in hot water for some 20 min while you are running to the local market 'cause you definitely forgot to buy something (I usually change hot water after 10 mins to new, just boiled one but it's not necessary).
  2. Add all the remaining ingredients in the blender or food processor.
  3. Add cashews without water and blend until smooth and creamy!

I have some tips and tricks for you because I know how some of them can change the recipe a lot or answer some of your questions.

  • Start with the mentioned amount of lemon juice and vinegar, add more if needed in the end. These two ingredients are very strong and if used too much, can easily ruin the plain taste (and rich at the same time) we are looking for.
  • Blend well. In this case taste depends on the texture a lot. I don't have fancy blender so I stopped when I thought it's the best it can do, but it can more, trust me.
  • Don't worry if the vegan sour cream gets off-white, it basically depends on the yogurt you choose to use and it won't affect the taste.
  • Put it in the fridge for a couple hours before using. It does magic! Very similar to dairy sour cream (and revenge), taste better when served cold :)
  • Remember, good quality ingredients are important. Poor quality cashews can give a bitter taste.
  • Vegan sour cream can stay fresh in the fridge up to 4 days, although in my home it never lasts that long.
  • Don't stress about the cup sizes if you don't have a right measurer. Just follow the proportions. That way you can always choose how much of the mixture you want to make.
  • If the result is too thick to your taste, add water by a teaspoon to avoid runny consistency.

Vegan Sour Cream

Vegan Sour Cream
You're welcome!
Remember, if you have any questions feel free to contact me via Instagram DM @draata or just leave it here in the comments section. I will be more than happy to help you reach this heavenly vegan sour cream!


Eat well. Eat vegan.
*draata